Sunday, April 5, 2009

New Delhi & Tibet House

It is Monday morning in Delhi. The sun climbed through a dusty haze which will probably stay for the day unless a big wind comes up and sends the dust to the east. I had a relatively mosquito free night although it was warm even with all the windows open and the overhead fan spinning. We are off in a few minutes to go to Tibet House. If we have good luck we will even be able to arrange my second meeting for the afternoon. Dinner is already planned with my good friend Pema Wangchuk. He is Bhutanese and always brings a fresh perspective to Indian and Tibetan cultural life. You are guaranteed to be laughing at his irreverent observations of the various quirks and customs he observes.

Pema Wangchuk and I spent August 2004 together in Eastern Tibet documenting all of the art of an entire monastery. For relaxation we hiked the high mountains above 14,000 feet that rose behind the monastery. We were looking for caves and special places associated with Tertons and Padmasambhava. We found one cave. We stopped for a little while to let our clothes dry after a torrential mountain down pour caught us out in the open. I had to scramble to keep my camera equipment dry. (The image above which I had already posted earlier is from that rainy trek in 2004 with Pema Wangchuk).

Anyway, off to Tibet House......

No comments: