Thursday, March 12, 2009

Holidays and Holy Days

Tuesday was March 10th - a Tibetan Holiday. Wednesday was Holi - an Indian holiday. Thursday is Tibetan Women's day - a holiday again. It can be very hard to see people here when they have so many holidays. Yesterday I ate lunch in one of my favourite restaurants in the Defense Colony. Sagar, they specialize in vegetarian South Indian food. The obligatory and necessary nap was soon to follow. Today I move to a central Delhi hotel and meet up with the main conference group. Jamyang Lekdrub's wife arrives from Mysore today and then they travel back to Manduwalla tomorrow.

I can't say that it will be sad leaving Majnukatilla. I have many friends here but it is so dirty, smelly and with lots of mosquitoes. The food is certainly affordable and the guest houses are reasonable to the point of being down right cheap. When I first came to India in the 1970s the $ was worth about 10 rupees. Now the $ is worth over 50 rupees. It is 5 rupees a minute to call Canada or the States. What does Verizon charge for overseas calls?

No comments: