Thursday, October 29, 2009

Beijing Airport Lounge, Friday the 30th

Sitting in the business class lounge at the Beijing airport. They let me through security. Things have sure changed here. Everything gets easier in China. The only thing that doesn't change is the bad food. You can find it everywhere. I have had some great food here but primarily vegetarian. You know me, I'm not into all that ground up mystery meat or unidentified body parts. I also don't like whole chicken heads floating in my chicken soup. Call me boring, call me unsophisticated but that's the way it is. I knew it was going to be a bumpy ride two weeks ago when I was served an entire plate of duck hearts. All I could think of was how many ducks were present on my plate.

See the alternate travel blog for those days when I was unable to access Google Blogs.

I have had no sleep since 7:00 yesterday morning. The drive back from Wutaishan was great because it was daylight. We left at 11:00 in the morning and arrived in Beijing after 7:00 P.M. The last of the three cars in our group broke down with radiator problems. My bag was in that car. So were my apartment keys. The car and driver were later abandoned in a small backwater Chinese village and the passengers rented a taxi to bring them to Beijing. The bag arrived at my hotel at 12:00 midnight delivered by my friend Wayne who was at the Vancouver 2000 Lamdre. He recalled the not so harrowing experience of the car over heating as they approached the pass above the valley of the Wutaishan stupa.

Wayne, Wei Wei and I adjourned to my room where we stayed up talking and sharing stories all night long. The hot water kettle never cooled down. We looked at two actual paintings and also looked at art on the internet and images on our own computers. Both of them are regular users of the HAR website and had many suggestions about improvements and changes. Wayne also checks the SRG site regularly and offered to translate parts into Chinese because of the growing need for Chinese language content.

I plan on sleeping through to Hong Kong, relaxing again in the lounge, and then sleep all the way to New York with a few movies on the way.

No comments: