Wednesday, October 14, 2009

JFK to Hong Kong - then Beijing

Well, here I am again at JFK at 7:00 in the morning. I have been very fortunate today, they have upgraded me to business class for the JFK through to Hong Kong portion of the trip. Several people have already heard that I will be at the conference and are trying to set up meetings. For me a highlight of the trip will be the opening of the new Tibetology Institute at the Palace Museum. On Friday morning (New York Thursday night) a bus has been arranged to pick some of us up at the hotel and take us to the ceremonies. Ed thinks it will be boring, but he has lived in Beijing for many years and been to many official openings and tediously long functions. For me it will be a chance to see old friends and colleagues, and make arrangements to get together over the weekend and following week.

One thing that I like to do while in Beijing is reconnect with the Bon scholars and lamas teaching and studying at Beijing universities. Generally they are from the Amdo region of Eastern Tibet.

I have a long list of things that I would like to try and accomplish while I am there. Finding the original Panjarnata Mahakala temple allegedly built at the time of Chogyal Pagpa and Aniko is high on the list. See the SRG Website Blog for more information on this (left side menu selection).

No comments: