Thursday, June 10, 2010

Back in New York

The flight from Paris to New York was pretty good considering the airline I flew only has business class seating. It is called Open Skies. I know, I hadn't heard of it either.

I didn't sleep too well last night in the apartment because of the rain coming through the roof into the bucket right next to my bed, plop, plop, plop. The mattress had already gotten wet by the time I returned from dinner at 9:00 p.m. I pushed the bed away from the new leak making sure to avoid the old leaks. I dried the mattress on the wet side as much as possible and placed a bucket to collect the dripping water. I did not have good dreams.

The workmen come in tomorrow, Friday, to cover the apartment ceiling with plastic sheeting stapled to the walls. The sheeting will hopefully catch and collect much of the roof debris as it falls through. The workers are being told to be careful on the rafters so that they don't inadvertently step and break through the ceiling causing an even bigger mess. Can you believe it! It's like I'm in Bangladesh during a bad year of monsoons - but oh no, this is New York City.

I have booked a ticket to leave NY for Vancouver tomorrow night. Who knows when the roof work will be finished and the apartment cleaned up? Maybe the bed bugs will also leave because it is just too Third World for them as well. Remember, these are not ordinary bed bugs, these are New York bed bugs.

No comments: