Friday, June 4, 2010

A Bold Attack & Postponement of Battle!

Last night was a set back for me. After the previous night with no bites last night at approximately 3:30 a.m. there was a definite attack with some force. I received six small bites, two to each leg, and two on my upper right arm. I looked for the bugs on the bed and under but could see nothing. They are likely to be in the infant stage yet big enough to draw blood. They are very difficult to see at this phase of their development. I have been both spraying and cleaning regularly but apparently to no avail as this second or third nesting of eggs has hatched. My gut feeling tells me they are between and under the floor boards.

Once I know when the exterminators are returning again for the third spraying then I can plan on spreading diamataceous dust throughout the apartment floor completely filling the numerous spaces between the floor boards.

Any good commander knows when it is time to back off and change the strategy. A new campaign is opening on Monday morning which will make it difficult to continue the fight against the bugs. The property management company plans to start work on replacing roof above my apartment, I am on the top floor, making it intolerable to remain here in the apartment. Yes, the roof leaks as well. The work will probably last for two weeks.

The worst part of it is that the ceiling in the apartment is not completely closed in and sealed. The edge of the ceiling that butts up against the brick wall is not flush but rather has gaping openings that go directly into the sub-roof. Whenever someone walks on the roof, or roofers are working, then a tremendous amount of dust, sand, dirt, and rock fall directly into the apartment through these openings creating a huge mess. The same debris also falls down through the chimney and out through the fireplace opening.

In preparation most of my belongings are wrapped in plastic bags already because of the bugs, and the remainder of the possessions such as bed and computer, lamps, chairs, telephone, T.V. etc., will need to be completely covered in plastic as well. Once the roof work is finished and before returning back to the apartment it will require a good professional cleaning with an industrial vacuum and a lot of effort.

So, the battle of the bugs is on hold for awhile. In the meantime I have not been offered any kind of accommodations by the property management company and therefore I am on my own with finding a place to stay here in New York or choosing to travel and working from afar. I will share my experience as it unfolds.

No comments: